HF Mural

HF Mural

Sited at the southwest corner of Paine Field, HFF offers a journey into the energy, hard work, and passion that fueled aviation from 1927 through 1957. Like the aircraft in our collection, the hangar at Kilo-7 is designed to reflect beauty, durability, and honestly expressed materials.

Faced with the need to expand display space to accommodate our growing collection and create additional STEM education facilities, HFF in 2015 proposed to Snohomish County, establishment of a fourteen-acre Historic Aviation Campus at Paine Field. When this proposal was rejected, HFF circulated a “Request for Proposals” to over twenty airports potentially suitable as a second base for the Foundation. After a serious vetting process, we selected Spokane Felts Field for our expansion site.

Designed in cooperation with Spokane Airports and JRMA Architects, the Felts Field facility will be considerably larger than our Kilo-7 location allowing indoor storage of both the B-25 and DC-3. A viewing mezzanine will span the length of the building. Shop facilities, a member library and seminar rooms will serve HFF and organizations from the greater Spokane area wishing to use this unique venue. Construction began in August 2018 with completion scheduled for the summer of 2019.

» Fly through the
Felts Field facility

Kilo 6 fly through

7 Responses to “Experience”

1. Mike Hutchison says:

I just wanted to say thank you for very enjoyable afternoon, specifically to Mr. Humphries – he gave me a very thorough and informative tour on Apr. 28. I left even more impressed at the collection and the efforts by those who support it, and learned a few things! A wonderful way to spend some time and appreciate these magnificent examples of aviation history 🙂

2. Mike Luedey says:

I wanted to sincerely thank everyone at Historic Flight Foundation who came out to visit us in Langley, BC at the Canadian Museum of Flight last weekend (despite the terrible weather). You’re an absolute class organization in every way and we were thrilled that you chose to come out and see us. The Museum exchange visit idea is a great one and we hope to return this wonderful gesture by coming out in support of you, to see your incredible collection and of course, reconnect with friends we’ve made at HFF along the way.

Also….Congratulations on the safe arrival of your DC-3! What a gem!

3. Stewart Detjen says:

A Very BIG Thank You to Volunteer John, Who went out of His way to give a personnal tour of this excellent collection of vintage aircraft. It was after a busy Labour Day Weekend but John made sure He showed off a Collection in which He takes great pride. I’ll be back for a Fly Day and a longer visit.
    Thanks Again; Stewart Detjen
    Okanagan Centre, BC

4. Alan Rice says:

Thankyou David Poissent for your info on F/LT J W Rice, please send me everything you have on Jack’s record as we have hardly anything other than his service in Liberators …Regards Alan Rice.

5. David Poissant says:

I’ve done extensive research on the orignal ‘Grumpy’ RAF ser FL176 (USAAF 41-12656). My records, gleaned from 98 Sqn Operations Record Books, show Alan Rice’s uncle, J.W. Rice, crewed Grumpy on 14 operations; if Alan would like, I’ll be happy to provide him documentation.

My Dad (RCAF Pilot) flew Grumpy on 4 ops.

6. Mustafa Aziz says:

I flew in all the way from Dubai to Seattle to see the Historic Flight Foundation & Flying Heritage Collection. My family & I really enjoyed the hospitality of the volunteers at the collection especially Bob Wells who went into great details of the aircraft in the Hangar. The icing on the cake was climbing all over “Grumpy” and sitting in the cockpit. I have never been this close to a WWII aircraft.

Keep up the good work. Hope to visit the collection again also.

7. Alan Rice says:

My uncle, Flt. Lft. John William Rice, flew 3 missions in Grumpy over German held territory. He was a wireless air gunner at the close of the war. He was transfered to Australia and back in the R.A.A.F. in liberators dropping Z Force personel into Timor. He was killed on 17/05/1945 in Liberator A72-159 at Villa General Carmona Timor. Jack is buried on Ambon, Indonesia.