May 21

No joy. Another day in Goose Bay.

Recreating a scene out of Lend/Lease WWII, we are stuck in Goose. Icing conditions begin at 500 feet above the ground and continue to above the service ceiling of the DC-3. Ours and many of the Squadron aircraft have been restored without alcohol props, wing and tail de-ice boots, because most of us fly only day sorties at air shows or for riders. De-ice systems are difficult and expensive to maintain. After an hour of study, the crews concluded no clear corridor existed so five aircraft stood down for the day. We receive excellent daily weather briefings from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. The briefers applauded our decision. Like the Blue Spruce pilots of a bygone era, we searched for local excitement.

We shared the company of Norwegian Air engineers dispatched to Goose to repair a 787 Dreamliner with engine issues.

We took a long walk to the military museum. It was my first day with over 10,000 steps since I received my prosthesis. No issues.

And we listened to an afternoon briefing, hopeful that on Wednesday we could visit Greenland, if not Iceland. Most of us tried to catch up on email traffic.

Early taps. Over and out.

John Sessions